Run upstart job exclusively or before upstart process

Rogerio Vinhal Nunes rogeriov at syst.com.br
Thu May 10 13:25:21 UTC 2012

Hi, I'm trying to make a diskless client with an Ubuntu image booting from
a read-only common root folder.

To do so, we usually mount the /var partition in memory and populates it
with the read-only content so the services would work. But this seems to be
causing some problems due to the copy process taking some time while the
other jobs are running.

Is there a way to run a job before everyone else or making a job to stall
all other processes until it finishes? Without upstart we did this in the
rc.sysinit script that executed before the init scripts.

At least an option to make part of the job synchronized would be nice.