initctl list output...

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 17:37:47 UTC 2012

I didn't see any replies to my comments about the ui/output of "initctl
list"... after some experimentation in the code, you can see what I came up
with below.

1) I don't have any examples of multi-process services, so I edited the
output to add a "fake" second process for rsyslog so you can see what it
would look like.

2) the "xx:xx" is intended to be the length the process has been running.
I'm working on filling in the real numbers now..

3) I'm thinking of adding a command/flag for a "machine readable" version
of "list"... (the current list isn't very machine readable, but this format
is less so)

4) I'm thinking about sorting this output, probably by prop-name....

Thoughts?

root at w5:~/src2/upstart-0.6.5/util# ./initctl list
   start/running      xx:xx      634 rsyslog
                      xx:xx   999999 + (logger)
   start/running      xx:xx      675 tty4
   start/running      xx:xx      308 udev
   start/running      xx:xx      304 upstart-udev-bridge
    stop/waiting                     mountall-net
    stop/waiting                     rc
    stop/waiting                     screen-cleanup
    stop/waiting                     ureadahead-other
   start/running      xx:xx      682 tty5
    stop/waiting                     apport
    stop/waiting                     console-setup
    stop/waiting                     hwclock-save
    stop/waiting                     irqbalance
    stop/waiting                     plymouth-log
   start/running      xx:xx      702 atd
   start/running      xx:xx    31434 ssh
    stop/waiting                     failsafe-x
    stop/waiting                     plymouth
   start/running      xx:xx    12964 dbus
    stop/waiting                     control-alt-delete
    stop/waiting                     hwclock
    stop/waiting                     module-init-tools
   start/running      xx:xx      703 cron
    stop/waiting                     mountall
   start/running                     ufw
    stop/waiting                     plymouth-stop
    stop/waiting                     rcS
    stop/waiting                     mounted-varrun
    stop/waiting                     rc-sysinit
   start/running      xx:xx      689 tty2
    stop/waiting                     udevtrigger
   start/running      xx:xx      690 tty3
    stop/waiting                     mounted-dev
    stop/waiting                     udev-finish
   start/running      xx:xx    10652 mysql
    stop/waiting                     hostname
    stop/waiting                     mountall-reboot
   start/running                     network-interface (lo)
   start/running                     network-interface (eth0)
   start/running      xx:xx      743 tty1
   start/running      xx:xx    19384 svscan
    stop/waiting                     mountall-shell
    stop/waiting                     mounted-tmp
    stop/waiting                     plymouth-splash
    stop/waiting                     udevmonitor
   start/running                     network-interface-security
(network-interface/eth0)
   start/running                     network-interface-security
(network-interface/lo)
   start/running                     network-interface-security (networking)
   start/running      xx:xx      693 tty6
   start/running      xx:xx    25764 willow-smtpd
    stop/waiting                     dmesg
    stop/waiting                     networking
    stop/waiting                     procps
    stop/waiting                     ureadahead