conf-change reload issue, ui suggestions...

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 03:07:02 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Scott James Remnant <scott at netsplit.com>wrote:

> By design this uses the old version of the configuration because the
> issuer may not know that the service has been changed and may be relying on
> features of the old version of the service no longer present in the new.

Is there some discussion you can point me to, or reasoning you can offer as
to why this common-unix behavior was changed in upstart?

All of the following...

apachectl restart           # custom script
/etc/init.d/httpd restart   # SysV style
svc -k httpd                # daemon tools

Mean "stop if running; start with new config".

This is by far the #1 command line interaction we have with the manager.

upstart is turning this into....

initctl reload-configuration
initctl stop <service>
initctl start <service>