conf-change reload issue, ui suggestions...

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 02:10:13 UTC 2012

The no-symlinks in /etc (or at least from /etc to outside) makes sense, and
in that case I have some other bugs to report:

1) placing a symlink in /etc/init does not appear to cause an upstart error
for that symlink on reload. Seems like it should output something similar
to a script format error to the log.

2) If you place that symlink over the top of an existing config, things are
even more confused.. because the service still works, and all the commands
works.. the only thing that doesn't work is reload.. which seems to just
somehow silently ignore the symlink while also **preserving the old
config** for that file.

For example, if I have a config file there, and then ln -sf a symlink over
the top of it, upstart seems to "hold onto" the config state for the old
file, never reloading. All the commands work, but based on the old data.
There is never any error generated.

Seems like if symlinks are supposed to not work, then reload should detect
them, send the error from #1 above, and act like there is no file at all
(dropping that service from the config)... so people can't get into the
confused state I was in with a working service based on a symlink that
won't reload.

------

Which leads to my next question. Any thoughts about allowing allowing more
flexible config directories anywhere?

I see the user-job feature, but this doesn't seem at all like what I want.
I'd like to drop /etc/init/willow.conf that just points to another
directory of upstart configs elsewhere.... that perhaps make a hierarchial
service namespace.. "willow-(subservice)"

I would do that by just running another copy of upstart (i.e.
/etc/init/willow-upstart.conf), but in the manual it sounded like this
wouldn't really work.