Mongodb upstart script

Tom tommedema at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 11:32:43 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

I'm trying to run mongod as a deamon using upstart under the
unprivileged mongouser account.

The following appears to work great:

# Mongodb Ubuntu upstart file at /etc/init/mongodb.conf

description "MongoDB deamon"

pre-start script
    mkdir -p /home/mongouser/data/db
    mkdir -p /home/mongouser/data/logs
end script

start on runlevel [2345]
stop on runlevel [06]

exec su -s /bin/sh -c 'exec "$0" "$@"' mongouser --
/home/mongouser/Applications/mongodb/bin/mongod --fork --journal
--nohttpinterface --dbpath /home/mongouser/data/db --logpath
/home/mongouser/data/logs/mongodb.log --logappend --port 30000

When I reboot the system mongod indeed starts properly. However, here
are the issues:
1. when I do sudo status mongodb I get "stop/waiting" even though it is running
2. when I do sudo start mongodb it starts the deamon again, even
though mongod is already running.

Can anyone tell me what is going wrong here?