Forking application or not

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 16 18:12:51 UTC 2012

Excerpts from James Hunt's message of Mon Apr 16 00:59:41 -0700 2012:
> The reason Upstart provides an 'expect' stanza is to allow it to supervise services or daemons which
> by design fork either once or twice. If you have an application that does not fork, it is not
> necessary to make it fork just to work with Upstart - just don't specify the 'expect' stanza. See
> below for further details:

There's actually another reason. A program that uses the 'expect fork' or
'expect daemon' stanza is not considered 'started' until it has actually
made the expected number of forks.

With this, a program can signal to upstart that it is started, so a
post-start isn't needed to delay the started event until the daemon
is ready.

That is why we also have the 'expect stop', so a program can use that
method rather than forking.