conf-change reload issue, ui suggestions...

James Hunt james.hunt at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 2 15:38:41 UTC 2012

On 30/03/12 03:10, David Jeske wrote:
> The no-symlinks in /etc (or at least from /etc to outside) makes sense, and in that case I have some
> other bugs to report:
>
> 1) placing a symlink in /etc/init does not appear to cause an upstart error for that symlink on
> reload. Seems like it should output something similar to a script format error to the log.
>
> 2) If you place that symlink over the top of an existing config, things are even more confused..
> because the service still works, and all the commands works.. the only thing that doesn't work is
> reload.. which seems to just somehow silently ignore the symlink while also **preserving the old
> config** for that file.
>
> For example, if I have a config file there, and then ln -sf a symlink over the top of it, upstart
> seems to "hold onto" the config state for the old file, never reloading. All the commands work, but
> based on the old data. There is never any error generated.
>
> Seems like if symlinks are supposed to not work, then reload should detect them, send the error from
> #1 above, and act like there is no file at all (dropping that service from the config)... so people
> can't get into the confused state I was in with a working service based on a symlink that won't reload.

The fact that sym links are not supported is documented both in init(5) and the cookbook. However,
feel free to raise a bug to have Upstart display an error, etc if it finds one:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/upstart/+filebug

> ------
>
> Which leads to my next question. Any thoughts about allowing allowing more flexible config
> directories anywhere?
>
> I see the user-job feature, but this doesn't seem at all like what I want. I'd like to drop
> /etc/init/willow.conf that just points to another directory of upstart configs elsewhere.... that
> perhaps make a hierarchial service namespace.. "willow-(subservice)"
>
> I would do that by just running another copy of upstart (i.e. /etc/init/willow-upstart.conf), but in
> the manual it sounded like this wouldn't really work.
I'm confused by what you are trying to achieve here. Can you explain further?

Kind regards,

James.
--
James Hunt