Configuring limits globally

Lukáš Nykrýn lnykryn at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 10:24:17 UTC 2011

Steve Langasek píše v Út 08. 11. 2011 v 09:40 -0800:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 11:43:34AM +0000, James Hunt wrote:
> > On 08/11/11 10:51, Lukáš Nykrýn wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I want to ask if this patch
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/upstart/+bug/282854 was considered for
> > > inclusion or if there are some issues that needs to be worked on.
> > > This was possible in SysVinit so I think it is very unpleasant that
> > > Upstart does not provide possibility to change limits globally.
>
> > This would be a useful idea. However, there is quite a lot of work still
> > to do to have the patch accepted.  See my comments:
>
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/upstart/+bug/282854/comments/2
>
> As far as I can see, there isn't even a patch that's been proposed yet?
>
> FWIW, a workaround for this would be to set global limits in the initramfs
> (or via a diversion of /sbin/init) before calling upstart.  Not pretty, but
> would do the job, while we don't have a patch.

I think that adding other stanzas to init.conf in the same way like is
in this patch for limit would be quite easy, most of it can be taken
from parse_job and if there is a chance that this will be accepted I can
prepare it. But if somebody thinks that this is not necessary or
unwanted it would be good to known.

Lukas