rsyslog script

Grail Dane grail69 at
Wed Mar 23 01:20:41 UTC 2011

In case anyone can see room to point me in the right direction here, I have recorded my latest bootupmessages and the one for my rsyslog looks like:
init: rsyslog main process (860) terminated with status 1init: rsyslog main process ended, respawning
As you can see it seems to respawn but without an associated PID yet running initctl list the corresponding entry is:
rsyslog start/running
Whereas all others with a PID also have - , process PIDAnd even though it says running, a ps yields nothing and no logs are getting updated.
Any thoughts or help would be appreciated :)grail
From: grail69 at
To: upstart-devel at
Subject: rsyslog script
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 03:23:15 +0000

I seem to be stuck with this one and not sure if possible to do what I am trying?
I copied the rsyslog.conf from my Ubuntu machine and changed it to the below:
< ---------- start -----------------># rsyslog - system logging daemon## rsyslog is an enhanced multi-threaded replacement for the traditional# syslog daemon, logging messages from applications
description	"system logging daemon"
start on filesystemstop on runlevel [06]
expect forkrespawn
pre-start script    COMPAT=$(/sbin/rsyslogd -v | awk 'NR == 1{print substr($2, 1, 1)}')end script
exec rsyslogd -c$COMPAT< ---------- end ----------------->
This seems to start and assign a PID, it then terminates and respawns but without a PID and consequently is not really running.
So i guess my question is: Am I not able to use variables in this way or have I done it the wrong way?If yes to the wrong way, would someone please educate me?
Also I am guessing this is not really a devel question ... is there a support list?

upstart-devel mailing list
upstart-devel at
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: