Need help with upstart/init conf selecting wrong PID.

Mathijs mathijs at smoeltje.nl
Tue Mar 22 10:24:29 UTC 2011

Hello there,

I don't know where to go with this question, so i hope i can try it here.

I have created an upstart config to start an application via screen.
This way that application can be entered via screen when needed.

The application starts correctly via the init conf, but it doesn't have
the correct PID.
I tried expect daemon, fork, and non, but this doesn't work.
With daemon and fork it starts, but not the correct PID, and status
myapp, thinks it is still running.
With no expect, it also starts, but then i thinks it isn't running anymore.

What can i do to fix/track this problem?

Here is the conf:
---
description "MyApp - startup script"

start on runlevel [2345]
stop on runlevel [016]

expect daemon
#expect fork
console output

script
        cd /apps/inbox
        exec su myapps -c "screen -d -m -S MYAPP java -jar MyApp.jar"
end script
---