[RFC] Disabling jobs in Upstart

Dr. David Alan Gilbert ubuntu at treblig.org
Sun Jun 26 00:09:45 UTC 2011

* James Hunt (james.hunt at ubuntu.com) wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On 18/06/11 18:33, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> >>  * Jobs to be disabled in particular runlevels.
> >
> > Are you sure 'runlevels' should still be the primary way of thinking
> > about this? IMHO they've always been confusing.
> > I'm not sure what the alternative is - something like whether
> > or not they respond to a particular event?
> > Then you can have sensible events - e.g. 'startingx' or 'shuttingdown'
> > Such a tool could select to filter events so that a script
> > no longer responded to an event it would normally trigger on.
> I think that's what we're trying to achieve. Upstart (indirectly) supports runlevels...
>
> - for LSB compliance
> - to smooth the transition from SysV
>   - for users (something familiar to grasp onto :)
>   - for services
>     - allows existing SysV scripts to be run via /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf
>     - to simplify the conversion of SysV services to Upstart jobs.
>
> However, jobs are able to make use of whatever events are appropriate (see upstart-events(7) on
> Ubuntu Natty/Oneiric). However, as discussed recently in Ubuntu, we are looking to introduce some
> new events and job aliases such as "shutdown", "reboot" and "display-manager" (rather than all the
> complexity in gdm.conf) to:

Right, all I was trying to point out was that your proposal started
off with runlevels straight away and they were the prime method of describing
and thinking about things, where as I think what you're saying is yes we need
to support them for all those reasons above, but you're fine for them being
compatibility stuff.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /