Upstart helpers (abstract jobs and event aliases) for Oneiric

Scott James Remnant scott at netsplit.com
Tue Jun 7 16:43:59 UTC 2011

In CrOS, we do something similar. We have three "boot phase" jobs that most
other jobs are started and stopped by. They are:

  startup (distinct from the event)
  boot-services
  system-services

They are chained together thus:

  startup: start on startup (this has a main process that carries out jobs
similar to mountall)
  boot-services: start on stopped startup
  system-services: start on started boot-services

boot-services and system-services stay running until shutdown.

Other jobs then use:

  start on starting startup

  start on starting boot-services
  stop on stopping boot-services

  start on starting system-services
  stop on stopping system-services

The use of "ing" here is important; it means that "started boot-services"
means that all boot-services have started (since the starting event blocks
for them). So system-services happen entirely after boot-services (UI is a
boot service for us).

Scott