Influencing upstart from within a job

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 21:39:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Scott James Remnant <scott at netsplit.com> wrote:

> How each distribution implements their shutdown process is up to then, if
> "shutdown now" doesn't work within your boot sequence, you should contact
> the distribution to find out what method does work.

Thanks for the response. At a low level, how does "shutdown now" work?
It's part of the upstart package and not anything distribution
specific, so it appears as though it does something related to
emitting upstart events to me, but I'm not clear on the internals of
upstart to know how to signal it to do something at a low level.

I do have a case with Red Hat open on this as well, but at this point
I'm trying all of my options to figure out a way to do this :)