relation between cgred (libcgroup) and libvirt

Serge E. Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Thu Feb 10 04:35:09 UTC 2011

I suspect that once again I'm just not thinking 'the upstart way'.  A
system can have none, either, or both of cgred and libvirt set to run
on a system.  They don't need each other.  However, if both are going
to run, then libvirt needs to start after cgred or else it won't be
able to start VMs.

So the first problem is that libcgroup isn't upstartified and the init
jobs are ugly, but I'll handle that.  However, I'm not sure how I
should relate the two jobs.  Do I need to stick to having extra
pre-script logic in libvirt to check whether cgred should run but
isn't yet ready?  Or is there a better way?  Making cgred
'start on starting libvirt-bin' is wrong both because we don't want
to make cgred wait for libvirt and bc it should start on a libvirt-free
system.

What's the cleanest way to handle this?

thanks,
-serge