initctl unable to communicate with init

Kees Jongenburger kees.jongenburger at gmail.com
Mon May 3 20:48:38 BST 2010

Hello Chris,

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Chris Packham <judge.packham at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've been using upstart in our embedded products for some time now
> (we're using upstart 0.5.1). I'm in the process of porting our
> software to a new hardware platform and I'm running into a problem
> thats got me stumped.
>
> Our first init script mounts the file systems and then uses "initctl
> reload" to reload the upstart config from the on-flash upstart config.
> The problem is that "initctl reload" just hangs waiting forever. As
> far as I've been able to debug so far it seems to be in the dbus
> message dispatch which should have sent the message to init. I think
> its waiting for a response it never sees, I also think init never got
> the message.

Are you using a initramfs? who mounts the required file system for
upstart to work?

try replacing upstart by a shell script and once you have a shell
exec /sbin/init with extra debugging.

Double check your kernel configuration to have networking and sockets enabled.

> I've run the same code on one of our existing platforms and that
> starts up normally so I'm thinking its a toolchain/kenrel setup issue
> but the only differences I can see in that area are the things that
> _are_ different.

Your hardware might also be different causing a different events to happen
in a different order (for example a tmpfs to be mounted over the place
where upstart has it's unix socket waiting).