Shutdown service

Grail Dane grail69 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 5 01:21:37 GMT 2010

Hi All
Hopefully a quickie, but what do the functions shutdown, halt or reboot emitso I can trigger the shutdown process in an upstart only machine?
Currently, if I do say a 'reboot', the first displays the following:
Broadcast message from root at ripclaw            (/dev/tty1) at 10:50 ...
The system is going down for reboot NOW!
Then my command prompt returns and nothing else happens.If I then issue 'reboot' again I get:
md: stopping all md devices
Now the machine restarts but none of my other processes have been terminated / broughtdown nicely.
I would mention I am testing this in a vm at the mo.
Hope someone can point me in the right direction
CheersGrail