package dependency

T.Michael Turney tmiket at recipes4linux.com
Mon Mar 1 17:45:32 GMT 2010

> Upstart has a dependency on libdbus (as noted in README), but you can
> link that statically if your distribution doesn't ship libdbus in /lib
> (most do nowadays).
>
> It doesn't require the D-Bus bus daemon, Upstart's own tools like
> initctl talk to Upstart via a private socket bypassing the daemon.  The
> bus daemon is only used when you run these tools as a non-root-user.
>

> So if your distribution is having boot problems, it's fairly likely to
> be unrelated to that - and you should file a bug on the tool you used;
> in this case rootstock.

Hi Scott,
I did report this to rootstock mailing list as a possible bug.
I described my recollection of the error states and was offline for
better part of week with personal demands on my time.  When I was
next working on this I used rootstock to create new "ubuntu-minimal"
karmic rootfs for ARM target and tested it.  Dbus is now installed and
I saw no further issues.

 From my symptoms I am guessing udevd had a dependency on the Dbus daemon.
If not udevd, some other user-space boot process had a Dbus dependency,
but not upstart.
Cheers,
T.mike