Upstart 1.0 Design discussion

Scott James Remnant scott at netsplit.com
Mon Sep 14 14:21:45 BST 2009

On Sat, 2009-09-12 at 18:59 -0400, Casey Dahlin wrote:

> You use the term "levels." That term draws from electrical engineering,
> when talking about logic graphs (that look a lot like the line you drew
> above :). From there we'd get the terms "high," "low," "rising," and
> "falling." That's a bit too vocabulary-intensive for your style I think
> but its a start :) If we wanted to improve iteratively from there I'd
> probably recommend "up" and "down" rather than "high" and "low." These
> are general enough to work for non-jobs, but their roots are more in
> sysadmin-land than academia, which is good for our userbase.

Well, as you know, I never went to university and never studied
electrical engineering, or logic analysis, or anything like that in
depth :-)

So I don't think it's particularly worth trying to standardise on terms
from any other discipline, simply because *I*'ll always get them wrong.

When we come to write documentation, I imagine we'll standardise on a
set of our own terms for things.

> I'll save my follow-up for LPC. It may take some intense explanation.
> The crux of it is that we might be able to implement a few more stanzas
> that don't outwardly make sense, and, with the addition of being able to
> #include other files within job definitions, be able to eliminate large
> quantities of upstart's code in favor of a job state machine described
> in job definition syntax. Freaky huh?

I think it's a good idea to write things down on the mailing list,
rather than save them for LPC - even if the in-person stuff goes
different directions, it means those on the ML get a preview of what
you're thinking of ;-)

(Also the very process of writing a mail tends to help focus the
thoughts)

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?