Problem getting login on tty1-tty6.

ted bonkenburg inaddrany at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 06:21:08 GMT 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 3:09 AM, Stef Bon <stef at bononline.nl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed Upstart-0.6.3, and trying to boot my new LinuxFromScratch
> system. There is almost  nothing installed, dbus, Linux-PAM,
> openssh, samba, rsync and of course upstart 0.6.3. No python, but that
> should not be a problem.
>
> I've installed it in /opt/upstart-0.6.3, with the sysconfig directory
> /etc, making it look for the init events in /etc/init.
>
> Now there are some files installed there, control-alt-delete.conf,
> rc-sysinit.conf, rc.conf, rcS.conf.
>
> I've added tty1.conf,...,tty6.conf. They look like
>
> start on stopped runlevel [2345]

Are you sure you don't want:

start on runlevel [2345]

> stop on runlevel [016]
>
> task

I think you should remove the "task" here.

As others have noted, you'll need to emit a runlevel event somehow.

> respawn
> exec /sbin/agetty tty1 9600
>

> Now after booting with parameter init=/opt/upstart-0.6.3/sbin/init it
> boots, but I do not get a local login after the startupscripts.
> After logging in via ssh, I het the following output:
>
> root [ /opt/upstart-0.6.3/sbin ]# ./initctl list
> rc stop/waiting
> tty4 stop/waiting
> tty5 stop/waiting
> control-alt-delete stop/waiting
> rcS stop/waiting
> rc-sysinit stop/waiting
> tty2 stop/waiting
> tty3 stop/waiting
> tty1 stop/waiting
> tty6 stop/waiting
>
> now when starting job "tty1" manually:
>
> root [ /opt/upstart-0.6.3/sbin ]# ./initctl start tty1
> ^C
> root [ /opt/upstart-0.6.3/sbin ]# ./initctl list
> rc stop/waiting
> tty4 stop/waiting
> tty5 stop/waiting
> control-alt-delete stop/waiting
> rcS stop/waiting
> rc-sysinit stop/waiting
> tty2 stop/waiting
> tty3 stop/waiting
> tty1 start/running, process 1290
> tty6 stop/waiting
>
> First I have to stop do control-C after starting tty1, the command did
> not "stop".

That is probably because you are specifying that it is a "task". In
that case, "initctl start" will not return until the task has
completed. A getty is actually a daemon, not a task; if you leave out
the "task" Upstart will treat it as a daemon of sorts.

ted