Problem getting login on tty1-tty6.

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 00:34:34 GMT 2009

2009/11/24 Garrett Cooper <yanegomi at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 3:09 AM, Stef Bon <stef at bononline.nl> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've installed Upstart-0.6.3, and trying to boot my new LinuxFromScratch
>> system. There is almost  nothing installed, dbus, Linux-PAM,
>> openssh, samba, rsync and of course upstart 0.6.3. No python, but that
>> should not be a problem.
>>
>> I've installed it in /opt/upstart-0.6.3, with the sysconfig directory
>> /etc, making it look for the init events in /etc/init.
>>
>> Now there are some files installed there, control-alt-delete.conf,
>> rc-sysinit.conf, rc.conf, rcS.conf.
>>
>> I've added tty1.conf,...,tty6.conf. They look like
>>
>> start on stopped runlevel [2345]
>> stop on runlevel [016]
>
>    Tried `console owner' yet in your jobfile?

I rather suspect that Stef is missing to generate the runlevel event,
so the ttys are not started automatically.
I.e. if you have a job depending on runlevel X you have to call
telinit X at some point during the boot process.

In Debian/Ubuntu this is done in rc-sysinit.conf, which parses
/etc/inittab if existent and the runs
telinit "${DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL}"

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?