Upstart 0.5.0. Assertion causing kernel panic with respawn stanza

Kees Jongenburger kees.jongenburger at gmail.com
Fri May 22 08:26:19 BST 2009

Hello Sandeep,

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 8:59 AM, Sandeep Puddupakkam (spuddupa)
<spuddupa at cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> We are using Upstart version 0.5.0.
> If a job has a respawn stanza and the main process terminates before
> post-start script ends, there is a assertion which is causing a kernel
> panic.
> This does not cause a assertion if the respawn stanza is not present.
> I am working on a fix for this issue.
> However I want to find out if this issue fixed in any of the newer

It's very nice to see somebody trying to fix issues in 0.5.x. We tried
to send a few patches in the past to fix some trivial issues but
somehow they did not end up in the code. The public upstart code is
"dead". The update 0.5* code is broken and critical bugs like yours
where not addressed in the past month so I am not holding my breath.

The bug you describe sounds similar to
https://bugs.launchpad.net/upstart/+bug/337640 but this is a per-stop
script.
Overall we think daemon, respawn and the start/stop on "something
else" is broken. This leaves us with upstart being able
to start and stop something and that is not very impressive. I think
the daemon and crashes are fixable but dependency handling
is simply broken by design.

Kind regards