[ANNOUNCE] upstart 0.5.2 released

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Jun 18 03:32:36 BST 2009

Saravanan Shanmugham (sarvi) (sarvi at cisco.com) said:
> Fedora and Redhat may not have issues with distributing GPLv3.
> But I can guarantee you customers of Redhat, Monta Vista, etc which
> include many large companies will have a problem with it. As I
> understand it many of these companies do have a policy of not using
> GPLv3.
>
> So yes it will be a problem. Now Redhat/Monta Vista might package it as
> part of the distro, but will most likely still leave SysVInit as part of
> the distro and everyone with a policy of not using GPLv3 will not be
> using it in their products.

I hate to resort to the "voice of authority" here, but... I'm fairly
certain I have a much greater insight than you into:

- Fedora/Red Hat's packaging of upstart vis-a-vis SysVinit
- Fedora/Red Hat's stance on the inclusion of GPLv3 software

As it stands, Fedora/Red Hat does not care that upstart (or other core
Linux software) is GPLv3; furthermore, SysVinit is *not* packaged
as an alternative init system.

Bill