trying to get started with 0.6.3

T.Michael Turney tmiket at recipes4linux.com
Tue Dec 8 21:22:25 GMT 2009

Folks,
I have an ARM target (Beagle board) that I have debootstrapped a
running Ubuntu Karmic system.  I want to start playing with
upstart on the target and having a wee bit of trouble getting started.

My normal MO is to pull the package source, configure, build and
install without making any mods, as a baseline sanity check of
the package source.

With upstart-0.6.3, the package builds (./configure --prefix=<blah>) fine.
I copy init to /sbin/init on my SDCard and the board won't boot.

Without replacing /sbin/init, these boot messages are together:

> generic-usb 0003:046D:C312.0003: input: USB HID v1.10 Device [BTC
> USB Multimedia Keyboard] on usb-musb_hdrc-1.3/input1
> init: procps main process (488) terminated with status 255

When I replace /sbin/init, I don't get the second message from init

A couple of questions...

Q.1) Besides printf, what is the best method for debugging init?
I can use BDI-2000 and gdb to debug kernel, and gdb by itself for
user-space code.  Since init is in the boot-path, there is this
gray area in the middle that I'm finding difficult to debug with
traditional tools.

Q.2) Can I just replace /sbin/init from a clean build and expect success,
or do I have to install everything from an upstart build?

Q.3) I have grabbed the upstart source from an ARM target running
Ubuntu karmic (and ended up with 0.6.3).  With only specifying --prefix=
on the configure line, should I be able to build a bootable /sbin/init?

Any input on above three questions from the wizards, is appreciated.
Cheers,
T.mike