reacting to respawn giving up?

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at sigma-chemnitz.de
Thu Dec 3 17:23:29 GMT 2009

Janne Karhunen <janne.karhunen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
writes:

>> [uid/gid= functionality]
>> I've deliberately omitted this functionality for now, because it's
>> far, far more complex than just adding a setuid() call to the child
>> process.
>>
>> Things like PAM sessions, users being able to start/stop their own jobs,
>> etc. all come into play.
>
> Hmm, some sort of basic draft attached. Any pointers where
> this goes wrong?

It goes wrong with network based NSS (--> network is not available when
parsing stanzas), 'upstart' will have to load some libnss_ modules
dynamically (--> network filesystems are not available on startup and
some modules can have nasty side effects).

Some small wrappers like setuidgid from runit might be a better
alternative. E.g. you can use it like

| exec setuidgid username prog args

Enrico