Upstart 0.5.0, /proc, and telinit

Scott James Remnant scott at netsplit.com
Tue Sep 23 22:46:30 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 15:29 -0700, Jeff Oliver wrote:

> I too have a problem with attempting to use upstart as early start /init
> process.  I'm attempting to use upstart in a embedded environment, so I
> have an initramfs built into my kernel that is a complete root
> filesystem.  Unfortunately, upstart depends on /proc, which isn't
> mounted yet.

This is a bug.

> I ended up rearranging the process_spawn function in that
> area to attempt to open /proc, but if it fails, i removed the
> process_error_abort call.  If it succeeds, then attempt to write the
> oom_adj value as normal.  It seems to work fine for my setup.  It at
> least allows me to run rc.sysinit (or whatever other script) that will
> mount /proc.

Rather than ignoring the error, which would mean a job configuration
detail would not be set, the patch should instead only attempt to set it
if there is an OOM adjustment (ie. it's non-default).

Would you be willing to adjust the patch and assign copyright to
Canonical?

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/wiki/CopyrightAssignment

Scott
--