NIH & DBus binding generation tool

Saravanan Shanmugham (sarvi) sarvi at cisco.com
Tue Sep 9 10:36:46 BST 2008

Hi,
    I was looking into the NIH & DBus binding generation tool that are
used in the development of initctl.

I am working on adding an UpstartInit client library section to the
Upstart code so that it gets built and installed as a shared library
along with the Upstart stuff.

So that applications can just simply link in and use the shared library
to talk to Upstart.

I was planning on using NIH/Dbus binding tool get this going. Half way
through this process I just realized that both NIH and the code
generated by the Dbus binding tool are both GPL and not LGPL and hence
not conducive for use in a shared library.

Would it be possible to release these 2 pieces in LGPL form so that I
can do the above. The other alternative for is to use something like
Dbus-GLib which is much heavier and I would like to avoid if possible.

Sarvi