upstart configuration

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 14:58:17 GMT 2008

2008/11/7 Scott James Remnant <scott at netsplit.com>:
> On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 15:47 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:

>> > Isn't that correct though?
>> >
>> > You'd want the prompt, you disabled a job that has changed.
>>
>> Not really. I want the package management system to update the job
>> file and keep the service disabled, without a dpkg prompt.
>>
> Let's take a different example.
>
> You as the sysadmin change the conditions under which the service may be
> running; this is also defined in the job as a "while" clause.
>
> On upgrade, the job has changed to have a new condition.
>
> Should you get a dpkg prompt there?

Yes, but that is imho a different case.
What I (and I guess others too) would like, is a simple mechanism to
enable/disable a job (or switch between "manual" and "automatic" mode,
if you prefer this term). Something like the symlinks in /etc/rc?.d/
I still want to be able to manually run
start apache
but e.g. I don't want to have apache started automatically on boot as
soon as its preconditions are met.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?