upstart configuration

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Thu Nov 6 18:46:38 GMT 2008

Scott James Remnant schrieb:
> On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 18:27 +0100, Harald Hoyer wrote:
>
>> Because, I don't want a service to start (neither automatically by
>> upstart nor on demand).
>> Ok, as long as a package update does not reinstall the job file, I can
>> just move it away.
>>
> But *why* do you want this?!
>
> Give an example of a service that would normally be disabled such that
> it cannot even be started by a sysadmin.
>
> That seems somewhat silly, given the binary is still on the disk, no?
>
> Scott

I think we talk in different directions.

I mean a system service (like sendmail) which is defined as a daemon in a job file.
Now, I temporarily want to disable sendmail without removing the whole sendmail package.
So I move away /etc/init/jobs.d/sendmail. If the sendmail package provides the job file directly and the
package gets updated automatically,  /etc/init/jobs.d/sendmail would be back again after the update.
So either the sendmail package provides the jobs file /etc/init/possible-jobs/sendmail and another tool (like
chkconfig) softlinks to /etc/init/jobs.d/sendmail or there is another mechanism to enable/disable jobs.