upstart-logd, bootlogd, sysklogd, bootchart in relation to upstart

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 16:30:59 GMT 2008

Hi all,
 Can anybody share how upstart looks at the following, while for some
I have some idea for some, not so much of others.

a. bootchart :- Giving a chart of the booting sequence with memory and
CPU (although could be more friendly)
b. syslogd & klogd :-  while syslog keeps a log/journal of all events
within sessions, klogd keeps more specific messages coming from
kernel, this is most probably useful for kernel issues
c. bootchart :- A utility which makes chart of where and how the
booting sequence is happening.
d. upstart-logd :- Perhaps the most important one of all, there's
actually a bug which I'm looking at which is just there with no
movement. https://bugs.launchpad.net/upstart/+bug/98955 (it logs
everything from the start)

There is also something called syslog-ng (I dunno how good it is or not)

Looking forward to understanding the relationships between all of them
and where and what the upstart people feel on the same.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal

http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17