Clarification on upstart-0.5 and dbus usage

Saravanan Shanmugham (sarvi) sarvi at cisco.com
Thu Jun 19 01:04:03 BST 2008

Actually I seem to agree with Scott on this, that it is OK for Upstart
to depepend on a System Bus( or some key piece of infrastruture) to be
fully funcitonal.

As I understand it, Upstart will be able to start/stop/restart processes
without D-Bus. Only when the rest of the world wants to talk to Upstart
is D-Bus really needed and it seems reasonable to require it.

Here I am using the word D-Bus in place of a need for a reasonably
flexible communication/messaging mechanism.
Until D-Bus becomes as ubiquituous as Unix domain sockets, tying
communication with D-Bus.

But that said, D-Bus is a fine choice for now. I hope though, the
Upstart community is open to code contributions from us that allow for
modular alternatives to D-Bus. Ofcourse without compromising on
performance or clean code.

Thx,
Sarvi