Respawn needs a retry time

Marius Karthaus lists at karthaus.nl
Sun Jun 15 14:06:09 BST 2008

Hello all,

I feel I'm missing an option for respawn: the retry time.

If I define a service in upstart, it will try to respawn the service
with the set limits, for instance (default) by retrying 10 times in 5
seconds. Now let's assume that a program is unable to start because of
whatever reason during just 1 second. In that time, depending on how
fast the program exits it will be tried 10 times and the program will
never ever be started again by upstart. To me this is bad behavior.
I think upstart should try a couple of times, complain that it is unable
to start the process, wait for some time for the problem to be sorted
out and try to respawn again.

So I propose a third option to the respawn stanza, the retry time. That
way we can define a much more sensible respawn strategy.

Example:
respawn 2 10 30

"if the process I'm trying to keep running dies 5 times in 10 seconds
I'll wait 30 seconds before trying again"

Regards,
Marius Karthaus