Upstart Client Library

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Thu Jun 12 20:46:45 BST 2008

Hi Matthias,

> > This sounds like Upstart is proposing a hard dependendency on D-Bus.
>
> It proposes a hard dependency on the d-bus library and protocol.
> (There needs to be *some* way of talking to init ... and the d-bus
> protocol seems to be reasonably sane for doing this kind of thing)

this would lead to a 1:1 connection and upstart maintaining its own
D-Bus server. Not a good idea and a waste of resources.

> It does not propose a hard dependency on the system d-bus daemon.
> (That'd make no sense, as init needs to be controllable without any
> system services running; conversely, you might want to start dbus from
> the boot ramdisk before switching to the "real" init daemon.)

I don't see a problem here since upstart is a process monitor. Its first
job could be to start the system bus and make sure it keeps running. As
simple as that. After that upstart can accepts commands over D-Bus like
any other process.

Actually I do have a different solution for that problem, but more on
that later :)

Regards

Marcel