Upstart Client Library

Saravanan Shanmugham (sarvi) sarvi at cisco.com
Thu Jun 12 00:24:39 BST 2008

Hi,
      As Garret Cooper mentioned earlier, my team at Cisco is thinking
of working with Upstart as a process manager.

One of the questions that have come up with respect to a client library
to control Upstart.

There is a need for a process to talk/listen to the UpstartInit process
for the following
   1. Notifications about the state of a process.
   2. Request Upstart to read a new/update job file.
   3. Send an event to Upstart to trigger the start of a job.

The above functions are part of the upstartctl command, but need to be
in a library form that can be linked into another application so that it
can interact with Upstart.

Now it should be relative;y simply to create client library with some
well defined API, and for the most part this already seems to be
available in the form of message definitions in the upstart directory.

But they are in GPLv2 licensing. I would suspect such a client library
that could be linked to many 3rd party applications needs to be LGPLed
instead of GPLed?

What are our options here?
    We could write/release our own LGPLed client library that talkes to
UpstartInit but that  would still need to share some header files and
stuff relating to message definitions, error numbers, etc. or
duplicating them and trying to keep them in sync.
    Are there better options?

Thanks,
Sarvi