Feedback and help in porting the NUT sysV init script to upstart

Arnaud Quette at
Fri Jul 18 22:09:30 BST 2008

hi there,

first, kudos to Scott. You guy rock with this revolutionizing (and so logic)
idea ;-)

next, a personal point of view about the lack of upstream adoption of
I wanted to provide an upstart script for NUT for some time, but never found
enough matching example to do so.
the embedded scripts only address inittab, and the replacement-initscripts
are unreachable (see below) and far too basic for being really helpful!
if you want a massive adoption, provide some "real world" examples for
upstreams, really ;-)

so, a mutual help in getting the NUT init script ported would both help you
and me. good deal ;-)
btwn I've included the upstart "support" in NUT 2.4 roadmap.
I've attached the original Debian NUT script, along with a lazy and drafty
port attempt.
note that I'm currently giving some reflexion cycles on optimizing NUT
integration wrt init (ex: no need to clean stop daemons upon standard
shutdown). feedback, comment and help welcome... I can also give some more
details of the problematic.

another point (possibly already addressed): you should also take a look at
the HAL replacement (DeviceKit) since it should (must?) somehow impact
upstart (at least through signaling), or improve it?!
I will soon post on the new dk mailing a proposition for the power
management. if you also have some feedback there...

last note, there is a broken link on
should point?

Linux / Unix Expert R&D - MGE Office Protection Systems -
Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader -
Debian Developer -
Free Software Developer -