Upstart 0.5 Are We There Yet?

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 11:37:32 GMT 2008

2008/1/16, Scott James Remnant <scott at netsplit.com>:
> On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 12:45 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
>
> > 2008/1/16, Scott James Remnant <scott at netsplit.com>:
> > > Disable a job from its definition, instead of just deleting it.
> > >
> > >         I have again become unconvinced of the usefulness of this,
> > >         instead favouring something more like "profiles" or "flags"
> > >         where jobs can be disabled and enabled en-masse.
> > >
> > >         Unless somebody can provide a use-case for having a defined job
> > >         that cannot be started?
> >

> > I can only speak from my own experience. E.g. I have apache2 installed
> > on it, but disabled it from starting at boot (I only need it on
> > special occasions and then I start it manually).
> > It's definitely possible to achieve that with profiles or flags, I
> > only think it would be more effort and less convenient.
> >
> But this is different again, this isn't disabling the job since you want
> to be able to start it manually -- this is causing the job to ignore
> events; arguably you can do that already by commenting out the
> appropriate lines in the definition.

This approach has some problems though:
1.) It changes the md5sum of the file. This results in dpkg prompts on
package upgrades.
2.) A comparable tool like update-rc.d would be more complex and error
prone, as it would have to munge the job file directly.

Cheers,
Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?