Upstart 0.5.0, /proc, and telinit

Jeff Oliver Jeffrey.Oliver at panasonic.aero
Tue Aug 26 23:29:51 BST 2008

I too have a problem with attempting to use upstart as early start /init
process.  I'm attempting to use upstart in a embedded environment, so I
have an initramfs built into my kernel that is a complete root
filesystem.  Unfortunately, upstart depends on /proc, which isn't
mounted yet.  I ended up rearranging the process_spawn function in that
area to attempt to open /proc, but if it fails, i removed the
process_error_abort call.  If it succeeds, then attempt to write the
oom_adj value as normal.  It seems to work fine for my setup.  It at
least allows me to run rc.sysinit (or whatever other script) that will
mount /proc.

    /* Adjust the process OOM killer priority.
     */
    snprintf (filename, sizeof (filename), "/proc/%d/oom_adj", getpid ());

    fd = fopen (filename, "w");
    if (! fd) {
        nih_error_raise_system ();
//        job_process_error_abort (fds[1], JOB_PROCESS_ERROR_OOM_ADJ, 0);
    }
    else {
        fprintf (fd, "%d\n", class->oom_adj);

        if (fclose (fd)) {
            nih_error_raise_system ();
            job_process_error_abort (fds[1], JOB_PROCESS_ERROR_OOM_ADJ, 0);
        }
    }

Other than that, I have a problem with runlevel changes.  Executing
telinit X, or initctl emit runlevel RUNLEVEL=X, gets the following error:

initctl: Unable to emit event: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes
include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus
security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the
network connection was broken.

Not sure why that error comes up...I don't get similar errors for other
events that are emitted.  Is this an upstart problem, or maybe a dbus
configuration problem?

Jeff Oliver

Disclaimer: The information contained in this transmission, including any
attachments, may contain confidential information of Panasonic Avionics
Corporation.  This transmission is intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) listed above.  Unauthorized review, dissemination or other use
of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error or have reason to believe
you are not authorized to receive it, please notify the sender by return
email and promptly delete the transmission.