readahead - from a tar file

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 22:20:16 BST 2007

On 10/22/07, Scott James Remnant <scott at netsplit.com> wrote:
> Since you can't guarantee they won't change while the computer is off,
> you need to double-check on boot.

I assume you mean if the files were changed by booting it with a
different OS installation or by putting the drive in a different
machine?  That would be a relatively rare case.

It would probably be enough to have a different selection in the boot
loader, like the one for "profile", which does not use the tarball at
all (and regenerates the tarball later).

> The most interesting thing is to actually reorder the filesystem so that
> the blocks you need are always at the front and always sequential.

How would you do that?