Upstart 0.5 Roadmap

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 21:35:26 BST 2007

2007/10/11, Scott James Remnant <scott at netsplit.com>:

> Upstart, the IPC Server
> -----------------------
>
> One minor, trivial change that it almost doesn't seem worth mentioning.
> Upstart's own home-brew IPC will be dropped, and instead it will depend
> on D-BUS.

While I agree that D-Bus is a proven, well designed IPC mechanism I'm
a bit unsure if upstart should use it at its core, given that D-Bus
requires quite some infrastructure to get a system bus up and running
(currently on Debian/Ubuntu the libs are in /usr/lib, there are quite
a lot of necessary files under /usr/share etc.)
So how will we deal with situations where /usr is only available later
on boot (e.g. network mounted), isn't there also some kind of chicken
egg problem (upstart starting and supervising the dbus daemon will at
the same time relying on it).
I liked the idea of having some kind of D-Bus proxy, which could be
started later in the boot sequence.
Having D-Bus at the core of /sbin/init seems a bit fragile for me.
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how you plan to utilise D-Bus. So
please add some more details how you plan to implement this.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?