IRC meeting

Ismael Luceno ismael.luceno at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 05:38:15 GMT 2007

El Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:17:22 +0000
"Rob Ubuntu Linux" <rob.ubuntu.linux at googlemail.com> escribió:

> On Nov 28, 2007 3:32 AM, Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > El Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:13:57 +0000
> > "Rob Ubuntu Linux" <rob.ubuntu.linux at googlemail.com> escribió:
> >
> > > t just sounds lightweight and it does not require a Desktop X
> > > environment, so why should there be objections, based on low power
> > > CPU?
> >
> > How many OS install it by default?
>
> If Upstart is replacing init(8) in a distro, when it requires libdbus
> and the dbus daemon for event handling -- 100% will install it by
> default, or the package manager will install it when you choose
> Upstart as an optional "experimental" feature.

Right, but some distros might not adopt it because of that dependency.
Also remember that the world doesn't ends in gnu/linux, there are other
kinds of systems out there...

> If you're looking to be a end-user drop-in upgrade via 1 source
> package for init(8), I can see that would be an issue.  But remember
> Desktop environments, depend on dbus, so a lot of the enthusiasts who
> like to play around, will have it already.

Maybe a "end-user" (I never liked that term) distribution will have it,
but that's not all distributions, and I care about these "other"
distributions too.

--
Ismael Luceno