Specify machine name on reboot/halt/shutdown

Dr. David Alan Gilbert ubuntu at treblig.org
Sun May 27 23:28:17 BST 2007

* Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:
> 2007/5/27, Dr. David Alan Gilbert <ubuntu at treblig.org>:
> >Hi,
> > After having rebooted the wrong box in my time and having seen other
> >people done it as well I thought it was about time that reboot, halt,
> >and shutdown had a little protection added; the patch I include here
> >adds an option to let you specify the hostname of the machine you
> >believe you are shutting down; e.g.

<snip>

> Do you know
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/molly-guard ?

Hmm no I didn't know about that; it's good to know there
are lots of people who have made that mistake; and molly-guard
is a simple fix.

While ssh is probably the commonest way of making this mistake,
these days there are lots more ways of doing the same thing:
   * KVMs (although c-a-d normally are the source of pain there)
   * VNC
   * IP connected KVMs
   * remote X sessions
   * Management consoles for large systems
   * serial consoles.
   * virtual machine consoles

At least some of these are entirely transparent to the OS on the
machine.

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /