Bypassing svscan

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Sun May 20 18:55:36 BST 2007

Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Daniel L. Miller:
>

>> start script
>>
> This starts a shell script.
>

>>     exec mkfifo /var/lib/dnscache/log/multilog
>>
> This replaces the shell with the mkfifo process.
>

>>     exec chown dnscache.nogroup /var/lib/dnscache/log/multilog
>>
> This line thus will never get executed.
>

>> end script
>>
> ⇒ You need to lose the "exec".

I'm still trying either the named pipe method or the direct pipe on the
command line - still not having any luck.  I've changed it to:
start script
    ## exec's deleted - these appear to never execute
    mkfifo /var/lib/dnscache/log/multilog
    chown dnscache.nogroup /var/lib/dnscache/log/multilog
end script

script
    envdir /var/lib/dnscache/env \
        envuidgid dnscache softlimit -o250 -d "$DATALIMIT" \
        /usr/bin/dnscache
## without named pipe, add - \| setuidgid dnslog multilog t
/var/log/djbdns/dnscache
## does not appear to take effect - no multilog process started
end script
respawn

stop script
    ## exec deleted - appears to never execute
    rm /var/lib/dnsccahe/log/multilog
end script

## doesn't appear to do anything
console output /var/lib/dnscache/log/multilog
##EOF

--
Daniel