Fedora and Debug messages

Scott James Remnant scott at netsplit.com
Fri May 18 11:33:08 BST 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 18:28 +0200, Roland Wolters wrote:

> First: How do I log the debug messages? My first basic test system started
> with upstart, but my second, more complicated test system fails somehow, but
> the debug messages vanish when tty1 comes up, therefore I cannot read them.
> Is there any way to log the debug messages to a file? If yes, how?

I have no idea with Fedora, I'm afraid.

The fundamental problem with logging these messages is that there's no
writable filesystem for much of the boot sequence, so nowhere to write
them to.

On a Debian-derived system, the usual trick is to put syslogd into the
initramfs, and write the log out to the /dev filesystem.

> Second: If I write an upstart replacement for a regular init start script: how
> do I make sure that the new upstart-init file and the regular init file won't
> be executed both? Do I have to delete the init-start scipt? This would be a
> bit difficult since I sometimes need the regular init system if I screw up
> upstart.

Again, this would be Fedora specific.  Delete the rc?.d symlinks to the
script is the usual thing; but Fedora may have tools to prevent you
doing that and restore them automatically.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?