Upstart and interaction with user

Johan Kiviniemi netsplit.com-upstart-devel at johan.kiviniemi.name
Wed Mar 21 19:12:12 GMT 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 07:31:47AM +0000, Alex Smith wrote:
> the user *MUST* be able to disable the use of that during system boot.
> This would be for headless/remote servers that would be useless if a
> non-important question was blocking the boot process.

> Also, if there are no frontends running with suitable permissions it
> should be possible to use a default answer for a question. So, for
> example, if the user accidentally removes the job which starts the
> terminal/splash frontend during boot, and fsck's job asks a question
> while checking the root filesystem, the system will just hang until it
> is answered somehow. If there is a default answer for a question it'll
> not be blocked, it'll just use the default and carry on.

Currently an admin needs to set FSCKFIX to 'yes' in /etc/default/rcS on
Debian/Ubuntu systems, to avoid fsck asking questions. I had planned
that the fsck job would provide a similar setting.

But your idea to make it possible to disable *all* questions is a lot
better solution.

A default answer for each question would also provide a nice UI
enhancement: say the movement between questions happens with arrow
up/down and the movement between different answers to a multiple choice
question happens with arrow left/right. Then the expected answer would
always be the one initially selected when moving to a question.

Sincerely,
--
Jοhan Kiviniemi  http://johan.kiviniemi.name/