[Initng] IRC meeting

Rob Ubuntu Linux rob.ubuntu.linux at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 2 21:39:47 GMT 2007

On Dec 2, 2007 8:47 PM, Eric MSP Veith <eveith at wwweb-library.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 02 December 2007, "Rob Ubuntu Linux"
> <rob.ubuntu.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 2, 2007 4:35 PM, Eric MSP Veith <eveith at wwweb-library.net> wrote:
> > > The tcp_wrappers aren't that commonly used that they are more than a
> > > nice exciter in my eyes.
> >
> > They were very useful at one time, before Openssh really took off.
> > But and this is typical, Wietse implemented the access stuff as a
> > library, and that code is probably on every linux distro; even if it's
> > fewer systems are offering services in that way.
>
> And...? I mean: You said it's nice and fits nice with a system, but you also
> admit that it isn't used by a large number off applications; so where's the
> point?

The point is because it was implented well, noone notices it, unless
they actually need it.  It didn't impose, and the code was reusable.

> Er... AFAIK he just states that multilog(8) is the better solution in his
> eyes;

Hmm, that's kind of what I remember in the 90's, not very satisfying
at time, still isn't :)

> I'm btw still interested in the paper you were writing about. :-)

http://lwn.net/Articles/257004/   (wonder why he didn't just simply
use plugins ;) )