[Initng] IRC meeting

Rob Ubuntu Linux rob.ubuntu.linux at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 2 20:26:41 GMT 2007

On Dec 2, 2007 4:35 PM, Eric MSP Veith <eveith at wwweb-library.net> wrote:

> > Wietse Venama's security features, like the tcp_wrappers
> > (hosts.{allow,deny}) package for inetd(8) fitted in with the system,
> > for kernel & general logging, so always seemed more tasteful to me as
> > they avoided adding yet another critical daemon to watch.
>
> The tcp_wrappers aren't that commonly used that they are more than a nice
> exciter in my eyes.

They were very useful at one time, before Openssh really took off.
But and this is typical, Wietse implemented the access stuff as a
library, and that code is probably on every linux distro; even if it's
fewer systems are offering services in that way.

Guessing you don't really know why DJB didn't use the syslog ABI.  If
he's passing all the info out and then re-logging it via syslog(3) it
seems more complex not less.  There's probably some doc by DJB
somewhere that gives a rationale.