Complex Event Config

Mildred ml.mildred593 at online.fr
Wed Apr 25 23:52:43 BST 2007

Hi,

I don't have many things to say but i don't want to leave the topic
without answers :) And because I find the current behaviour very
limited I want things to evolve ... (Also because I'm now using
upstart as main init system without the compatibility mode)

Also, I don't really understand yet what are instances and complex
things like that so my answer may be irrelevant.

Le Tue 24/04/2007 à 15:53 Scott James Remnant à écrit:
> Background and the current specification can be found here:
>
> https://blueprints.beta.launchpad.net/upstart/+spec/complex-event-config

It's me or you're giving us a link to the beta version of launchpad ?
Anyway, that's not important.

> Note that this has been effectively rejected since it does not solve
> the problems as effectively as we might like.

Well, I don't really understand that. reading the spec, it seems to
address issues we currently have with the simple on stanza. I know
there are unresolved issues but I can't understand these... But if you
say that it is not good enough, I must agree. I'm using upstart only
for few days (well, maybe a week).

> This already tells us the important things about how events and jobs
> interact, that the complex-event-config specification must address.
>
>  - when are new instances spawned?
>    (currently "when any start event listed is received by the master
>     job")
>
>  - when is the job goal changed?
>    (currently "when any event listed is received")
>
>  - when is the event deemed handled?
>    (currently "when the job reaches a rest state")
>
>  - when is the event information discarded?
>    (currently "when the event is deemed handled", soon to be "when the
>     job goal is changed")

The current behaviour (or soon to be) seems something good. Except we
should allow complex combinations of events.

Why not just keep the current behaviour and just adding operators
between events ?

> So given the above interactions that must be addressed, what problems
> would we like to solve?
>
> I started collecting them here:
>
> 	http://upstart.ubuntu.com/wiki/ComplexEventConfig/UseCases
>
> Please feel free to expand on this, and discuss how we'd address the
> above interactions for each use case.

Well I think you got almost everything here. if I find something to add
here I won't forget.

Mildred.

--
Mildred       <xmpp:mildred at jabber.fr> <http://mildred632.free.fr/>