start multiples processes

Michael Biebl mbiebl at
Sat Apr 21 00:15:34 BST 2007

2007/4/21, Mildred <ml.mildred593 at>:
> I'm tryint to replace my Arch init system with upstart. And I have to
> translate an init script that spawn multiples processes. it is ifplugd.
> It monitor the status of the interface (when the wire is un/pluged).
> The current init script spawn as many ifplugd daemons as network
> interfaces.
> I just want to know it is possible to do the same with upstart ...

I would use the "instance" keyword and spawn a separate ifplugd job
for each device.
It could be triggered by udev events.

Add a udev rule like:
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/sbin/initctl emit
network-device-added %k -eDEVNAME=%k"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/sbin/initctl emit
network-device-removed %k -eDEVNAME=%k"

and the upstart job could look like:

start on network-device-added
stop on network-device-removed
stop on shutdown

exec ifplugd $1

I haven't actually tested this, but I guess you get the idea.

universe are pointed away from Earth?