User Survey

Scott James Remnant scott at netsplit.com
Sat Sep 2 18:41:11 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 16:58 +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Scott James Remnant <scott at netsplit.com> [2006.09.02.1644 +0200]:
> > You'll still need the -compat package, as that contains the
> > /etc/event.d scripts to run the existing rc scripts!  You'll also
> > need divert runlevel and telinit so that the compat versions will
> > be installed instead.
>
> Let's see if Debian follows the example and splits sysvutils. If
> they don't, I don't know whether I have the energy to support
> upstart in Debian, unless you and I come up with a better model of
> development. Running after Ubuntu is certainly not within my
> capacities.

That would be somewhat unfortunate.

Many Debian people seem quite keen on being able to use upstart with
their distribution, and I definitely don't want it just being an Ubuntu
thing.

If we take Ubuntu out of the equation and just consider upstart to be an
upstream project, would it be any more difficult to get into Debian?

initng has been packaged, so it must be possible for upstart to be too.

Is there a better model of development you can suggest that would it
make it easier for it to be packaged in Debian?

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?