Slight, maybe problem.

Jerry Haltom wasabi at larvalstage.net
Mon Nov 13 02:53:16 GMT 2006

Scott,

I've thought of one (maybe) problem with our approach to tracking states
by waiting for pairs of events.

Since our event match tree is created when Upstart learns of a job, it
is only filled in from then on. If a new job is added, such as
installing Apache, the Apache job will be learned, but it will have
never heard from "network-up", and thus will be waiting for the network
to come up.

Maybe this is okay though? Maybe the postinst should be responsible for
starting the service only if certain conditions match. That leaves it up
to the postinst to determine if the network is up, and that test is not
guaranteed to be accurate compared to the "network-up" event.