alternative setting of paths installing to alternative prefix

Nico Dietrich nicodietrich at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 12:36:49 GMT 2006

Hi!

Being able to install upstart to an alternative location (such
as /opt/upstart) is a good thing for a first try! But: the problem I
encounter is that upstart needs to use the telinit-binary
from /opt/upstart/sbin/ instead of the old one in /sbin, but the provieded
example-scripts just say 'telinit ...'.

So the only way I found to solve the problem is to replace all occurences of
telinit by /opt/../telinit - but then I need to use different init scripts
when running in 'alternative-location-mode' then those in 'normal-mode'.

Is there a better workaround, like setting the search path to
lookup /opt/../sbin first? Could upstart even do that when configured
with --prefix=... ?

Thanks,
Nico

PS: otherwise, things are running smoothly on debian unstable here!